Saturday, June 14, 2008

A look into the book "unChristian!"

Hey for those of you who are joining our first ever "Book Blog," I wanted to just give you an excerpt from the book that I thought as well could spark some preliminary discussion before engaging in our main discussion of "unChristian." This excerpt is taken from pg. 60 of Chapter 3:

Philip Yancey, in his book What's So Amazing About Grace? makes his own candid conclusion: "Having spent time around "sinners" and also around purported saints, I have a hunch as to why Jesus spent so much time with the former group: I think he preferred their company. Becasue the sinners were honest about themselves and had so pretense, Jesus could deal with them. In contrast, the saints put on airs, judged him, and sought to catch him in a moral trap. In the end it was the saints, not the sinners, who arrested Jesus."

If only our view of outsiders were more like that of Jesus. And if only we condemned hypocrites the way he did: "They crsush people with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden" (Matt. 23:4).

Think of the overwhelming perception among young outsiders that we are merely hypocrites. Does your life point people to a life in Chirst that bursts with freedom to love, restoration, purity, and transparency?

Or are you burying poeple- insiders and outsiders -under the weight of a slef-righteous life? Do you lift a finger to help?

As a Christian, it's my duty to ask: are you lifting a finger now?

Which one?

5 comments:

  1. I'm getting the book today if at all possible. Once I am done with it this week, I'll drop in my two cents. I just want to be sure these people aren't twisting scripture to say what they want it to say. I think anyone can do that.

    The saints did get him arrested, but let's remember the crowd did yell... "Crucify him". Neither were any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good... I haven't really hit the meat of the book just yet, but I'm just about to start chapter 3. One thing I like in the book was about Hijacking Jesus, which I couldn't agree more on. On page 32, which reads, "As we work to change the negative perceptions of outsiders, we need to avoid an opposite and equally dangerous extreme. Some Christians respond to outsiders' negativity by promoting a less offensive faith. The unpopular parts of Christian teaching are omitted or deemphasized. They hijack the image of Jesus by portraying Him as an open-minded, big-hearted, and never-offended-anyone moral teacher. That is an entirely wrong idea of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Butch. Hey begin to put together some quesitons or statments you would like to discuss for the big day! Sounds like you have some good stuff that would generate discussion already! Keep it coming! I will be looking at these blog comments on the day that we actually start the "Book Blog!"

    Thanks for reading this book with us!

    Way of the Pastor
    Joe Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beging to read a book called "Pagan Christianity?" by Viola and Barna. This book has already rocked my word and have yet to get past the introduction. Butch and I are going to trade books when we are done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Barna book a year is enough for me! Ha! But he is engaging even though he is a little too emergent for me! If you don't know what emergent means or have never checked up on the emergent movement led by guys like Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Dan Kimball and others...google it and you will soon find out!

    Way of the Pastor,
    Joe Drew

    ReplyDelete